Today is Kapil Dev’s 63rd birthday, and he played a key role in leading the Indian cricket team to unprecedented success. Let’s take a look back at Kapil’s international career and some of his notable achievements on his birthday.
In October 1978, Kapil Dev made his international cricket debut. However, he did not perform as expected in his first match. Kapil, on the other hand, proved that he is a full-time all-rounder by scoring a fifty in just 33 balls in the Karachi Test against Pakistan.
Captaincy in 1982
Kapil Dev was named full-time captain of the West Indies tour in 1982 after a consistent performance with the ball and bat. Kapil scored 72 runs in one of the series’ matches to help his team win. This victory gave Team India the confidence that they could defeat the West Indies in the World Cup.
In the 1983 World Cup, 175 runs were scored in 11 innings.
In the 1983 World Cup, Kapil Dev batted brilliantly against Zimbabwe, scoring 175 runs in 138 balls. Kapil hit 16 fours and six sixes in this innings. After that, Kapil batted well in the lower order in the semi-final match against England and then took three wickets.
Kapil’s performance in the 1983 World Cup was outstanding.
Kapil performed admirably with both the ball and the bat in the 1983 World Cup. In addition, his fielding skills were unrivalled. Kapil scored 303 runs at an average of 60.6 in eight tournament matches and took 12 wickets. He also had seven catches to his credit.
- The only player to take 400 wickets and score more than 5000 runs in Test cricket.
- In Test cricket, Kapil Dev is the only player in the world with more than 5000 runs and 400 wickets.
- In Test cricket, Kapil is India’s second most successful bowler. He has a total of 434 test wickets to his credit.
- Kapil Dev is India’s first World Cup champion as a captain.
- In 2002, Wisden named Kapiv Dev the Indian Cricketer of the Century.